Monday, September 10, 2012

Abrams, Favreau, and Kripke??? YES PLEASE!!! **MINOR MINOR SPOILERS**

I am a sucker for any “oops, there goes the world’s technology” TV show/movie.  So when I heard about the upcoming NBC show, Revolution, I got excited (yeah, sometimes it doesn’t take much).  Throw in the involvement of J.J. Abrams (LOST), Jon Favreau (Iron Man), and Eric Kripke (Supernatural) and this girl almost blew a gasket!  As soon as it became available on my ATTUverse schedule, I set the DVR.  But then a friend (thank you Leon) posted that Comcast was running a free, On Demand preview for the pilot episode.  I practically ran to my DVR to see if it was available on Uverse, and lo and behold, there it was!!!!  So on a lazy Sunday morning, I settled into the recliner and got set to watch the pilot of Revolution.

It starts out as your typical, there go the lights and now the world is in total devastation scenario—forcing people to go back to the days pre-technology.  The main story takes place 15 years after the initial blackout.  At this time, many live in small colonies, protecting themselves from the dangerous, outside world of militias and warlords, but when tragedy strikes, 3 people are forced to leave the comfort of their community.  And that, my friends, is about as far as I go with spoilers. 

In true Abrams’ fashion, I think we can expect plenty of flashbacks, twists, and turns.  There is somewhat of a LOST feel to the show; yet, somehow it is also completely different.  Revolution’s pilot episode, as expected, involves a lot of character building.  The good news? After watching it the second time, I can already remember most of the characters’ names.  This is definitely a sign that 1) the show is well written and 2) it must have sparked my interest. 
The cast, so far, is pretty likeable or hateable, depending on the situation. The protagonists are played by Billy Burke (24, The Closer, Twilight ) and newcomer Tracy Spiridakos (she has had plenty of one-two episode roles on TV shows, plus some small parts in blockbuster films).  Spiridakos brings her Heather Graham-esque charm to the role, immediately likeable with her Little Mermaid, dreamer qualities.  The comedy relief is brought with the character of Aaron, a young, Steve Wozniak type played by another newcomer, Zak Orth (who has also done various bit parts on television).  Elizabeth Mitchell (LOST, V) makes an appearance in the flashbacks of the pilot, but will she reappear in the future?  The actor I was most excited to see in this first episode was Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Once Upon a Time) as Captain Neville.  This man just plays bad so well!
The only downside to watching the pilot early is that now I have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode!  While I haven’t fallen completely in love with this show yet, it does show promise, and I believe episode 2 will be the make it or break it episode for me…..so we shall wait! 
In the meantime, if anyone else wants to see it early, check your cable’s On Demand to see if it is available.  OR you can watch it online at http://www.nbc.com/revolution/
Until next time!!!!  Hope you all have a rockin day!

No comments:

Post a Comment