Saturday, September 8, 2012

The return of old friends...


When I was a kid (hold on to your hat folks, she’s gonna date herself here), I remember looking forward to the Fall TV season.  Mainly because, during my childhood, shows ended in late spring and did not return to the glorious little box in our living room until fall.  Going back to school (we didn’t start mid-August, like so many schools today) signaled the return of old friends and the anticipation of new ones.  I could not wait for the Fall TV issue of the TV Guide to arrive so I could map out what shows to watch!  Summers, at that time, were for reruns and not new reality shows and series.  We had 3 major networks to choose from—ABC, NBC, and CBS.  If you were lucky, your parents also paid for HBO or the like.  Fox was around, but did not gain popularity until shows like the Simpsons and Beverly Hills 90210 (an obsession I will explore in the future) launched the network into the mainstream during my teenage years.  CW came about even later and was called the WB way back when.  AMC played movies.  MTV played *gasp* music videos.  And VH1 was for old people. 

Today, I still look forward to Fall TV, but I also look forward to Winter, Spring, and Summer TV.  So many year round choices now!

My “favorites” list is a long one….here goes

Sons of Anarchy, Glee, Once Upon a Time, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Bachelor Pad, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Big Brother, Survivor, Grimm, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Dancing with the Stars, True Blood, Game of Thrones, The Office, Louie, Wilfred, Smash, South Park…

I’m sure I missed some, and the list does not include shows that have ended (may they RIP). 

In the coming weeks, I will be reviewing the season premieres of many of these old friends, as well as introducing y’all to some new ones.  So stay tuned!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love SOA, I'm sad it's going to be the last season. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it got picked up for Season's 6 and 7. So this may not be the last!

      Delete
  2. I made a blog post for ya!

    http://thesimplifiedwitch.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-blogladydies-world.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, according to my blog stats, 29 people have looked at this from my blog post. :) Don't get discouraged, it takes a while to get a following that isn't friend or family.

    ReplyDelete